MY PHILOSOPHY:

Life is hard. Life is good. Show your love. Be yourself. Practice-self care.

Monday, December 24, 2012

WHY I DON'T LIKE THE WORD "ESKIMO"



So a mini-essay on why I do not like the word “Eskimo.” I understand why a lot of people from my community use it and I know that some people would say that they’ve appropriated the word and made it their own. I get it. It is not unlike other Indigenous people using Indian to self-identify. But my first response to the question “Why don’t you like using the word ‘Eskimo’?” would be, “Well, what is wrong with using Inupiaq to self-identify?”

My other response is a little more complex. To me, “Eskimo” is not a real person. It is an image, a stereotype, and as of lately, it is even a Halloween costume. People may not know what you’re talking about when you say Inupiaq, but say “Eskimo” instead and more often than not, they think of primitive Eskimos in fur parkas and mukluks who live in igloos and have a million different words for snow. Sorry folks, not my reality.

But it is more than simply a stereotype. I read a book awhile back entitled Give Me My Father’s Body, which chronicled the experiences of a young Greenland Inuit boy named Minik who was taken to New York by Robert Peary, an American explorer. Peary brought approximately 6 Inuit to New York as “specimens” to display at American Museum of Natural History. I remember seeing one photograph in which Minik was on display holding an “Eskimo” sign. I found that particular image jarring and upsetting (I will post the image as soon as I dig out the book from storage).

While Minik was from Greenland, it is that attitude people have towards the “Eskimo” that upsets me.  “Eskimo” is something to be on display in the museum, it is to be studied in the name of science. “Eskimo” is the dehumanized version of an Inupiaq person. Granted that Minik’s case took place in the late 1800s, I think some of that legacy carries on today.

I know that when people say “Eskimo” they may not necessarily have this in mind, but again, what is so wrong with self-identifying as Inupiaq?

No comments:

Post a Comment