MY PHILOSOPHY:

Life is hard. Life is good. Show your love. Be yourself. Practice-self care.

Monday, April 20, 2015

"DIG UP THE MEDICINES"

I feel as if I've gone through an intense and incredible period of growth within the last few months, as I'd mentioned before, things seem to come together at the right time. In my classes we've discussed all matter of things - life stages, vulnerability, mindfulness, and spirituality. It's been intellectually satiating and I must say that I love it when you can piece things together and draw your own conclusions. I love it when you are able to apply theory to life. 

I'm probably going to be talking about vulnerability for awhile because this has had a tremendous effect on my own development. 

In one of my classes we read a book on Indigenous women and life stages by Kim Anderson, entitled "Life Stages and Native Women: Memory, Teachings, and Story Medicine." Specifically, Anderson explores the life stages of Metis, Cree and Anishinaable women from about 1930-1960. The text is kind of a presentation of stories the author collected from her own communities.  She discussed customs related to pregnancy, birth, infant and child care, puberty rites, and gender roles.

I loved the author's introduction, which read, “My intent is to offer these medicines as a contribution to the healing process we call decolonization and, in particular, to encourage dialogue about the role that gender can play in that process.” She continues, “I hope that other peoples in North America and beyond will also take inspiration from the beautiful teachings represented in these story medicines.” By medicines she means “teachings." It is up to women to “dig up the medicines,” especially since women were the center and core of their own Indigenous communities.

I think her goal was to inspire other Indigenous communities, especially Indigenous women, to look to the past for stories and teachings, so that we may know our traditions and ways of being. This process is important to the process of decolonization because it encourages us to look to the teachings of the past to heal the present. It's a very positive and constructive approach to healing - and quite relevant to Indigenous communities because it encourages the practice of oral traditions and histories. 

She offers these medicines with humility and openness and that’s what really moved me.

Further, she offers these medicines for anyone who is willing to take it. I think that this sends a very important message to other Indigenous communities, as well as non-Indigenous communities who are willing to work with Indigenous communities, that we can help each other in our collective goal of decolonization. Her stories weren’t only meant for her own communities, she offers them to anyone who would read them.

The author encourages us to dig up our own medicines, whatever they may be.

Digging up medicines and sharing them - stories and teachings - requires some vulnerability. You have to be willing to share intimate, personal details with others. It's no easy feat but I really like the idea of digging up medicines and offering them to others to aid the process of healing. You can apply this concept to health and wellness, social work, and life in general, it's not exclusive to decolonization. Not only is it empowering for the person offering the medicines, it can be empowering to those receiving them.

Regarding medicines, I am reminded of my Indigenous friends, many of whom I met at Arizona State University, who have helped me in my own process of decolonization. It’s helpful to think of these processes and interactions as medicine and it helps me realize that we all have something to offer. Having that mindset gives my journey towards decolonization more purpose and direction.

I am also reminded of my friends and family who have shared their own medicines, individuals who have helped me in my own development and growth. I certainly would like to dig up my own medicines and offer them to others. This is my goal, my vision, of how I would to like to encourage healing in others. 

I would encourage you to dig up your own medicines, whatever that entails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment