MY PHILOSOPHY:

Life is hard. Life is good. Show your love. Be yourself. Practice-self care.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

GRATITUDE: A SHOUT OUT TO AMY

So, in my last post I mentioned connections as giving purpose and meaning to our lives - we all want and need to feel connected to others. Our lives are built around relationships - relationships with our parents, families, friends, romantic partners and relationship with a higher power, if you so choose to believe.
To quote Brene Brown, "I define connection as the energy that exists between people when they feel, seen, heard, and valued; when they can give and receive without judgment; and when they derive sustenance and strength from the relationship."

Yes!
With that said, this post is a shout out to my friend Amy, whom I recently "found."

It has been an amazing last few months as I get to know Amy more and more. We take walks and admire the sunsets and we've done some downright awesome things - sledding (sometimes in below zero weather), building a snow fort, playing hide and seek with the kids, etc.. Amy fits very well into our little clique. I use "clique" deliberately to highlight the exclusive nature of our lil gang...








"You and I are more than friends - we're like a really small gang."

I especially enjoy our conversations and the fact that we learn from each other. 

It's funny how things seem to come together at the right time. At this very moment, I feel as if I am in the right place at the very right time - personally, professionally, academically. Things that I learn from school - such as mindfulness and vulnerability - coincide very well with my personal life. I am learning to be mindful and embrace my vulnerability.

Amy had given me an article to read titled "a world framed by gratitude," by Ashley Abercrombie. I hadn't read it until this afternoon and I'm glad that I waited to read it because it fits perfectly into everything that has been happening lately!

Abercrombie quoted Brene Brown too, as well as living in the present but more importantly, she discussed gratitude. "Gratitude takes guts and gratitude takes work." It takes courage to say thank you, especially when life falls apart. Abercrombie wrote, "Contentment is not for the faint of heart."

We have a choice in how we respond to things, we get to choose our own attitude.

Martial artist (and brilliant guy) Bruce Lee put it succinctly:

"Choose the positive. You have choice, you are master of your attitude, choose the positive, the constructive."

One key thing that Abercrombie mentioned was that we we mustn't stifle our needs. Rather, we must share our hurts with trustworthy people, which will help us in our quest for gratitude. Gratitude, or "cultivating thankfulness," will in turn yield more meaningful connections to others. And so it's cyclical! 

I love how it all ties together - being mindful, vulnerable and thankful. These all require a deliberate, intentional, thoughtful approach to life. We live in the present, we acknowledge and accept our emotions and feelings, even the uncomfortable ones. We present our authentic selves and embrace our vulnerabilities. Rather than avoiding or numbing our emotions, we face them head on ("For this pain, thank you"). Although we cannot control life or what happens to us, we can choose how we respond. We can choose to have a positive attitude and be thankful. And then we can share this gratitude with others!

I'm thankful to be able to share these things with someone who is sensitive, understanding and accepting. Thank you Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment