MY PHILOSOPHY:

Life is hard. Life is good. Show your love. Be yourself. Practice-self care.

Monday, April 20, 2015

RELATIONAL WORLDVIEW: HARMONY AND BALANCE

In one of my classes we discussed a model called relational worldview, which is an Indigenous worldview. We read a short article called "Relational Worldview Model" by Terry Cross, who is a member of the Seneca Nation of Indians. The National Indian Child Welfare Association developed this model in the 1980s and continues to refine it presently. It differs from the traditional linear worldview used by the field of social work.

The linear worldview is the European/American/Western worldview that is linear (duh), which uses the "cause-and-effect" approach. It's very logical, time-oriented and systematic and as such, it focuses on linear cause-and-effect. For example, when social workers are searching for interventions for a client, he or she may target the specific cause or symptom, rather than approaching the situation holistically. This approach is rather limiting and focuses solely on "the problem" and fails to address other aspects of the client's life.

Relational worldview, on the other hand, focuses on balance and harmony within a person’s life. It breaks down a person’s sense of balance into four areas:

Context – culture, community, family, peers, work, school, social history.
Mind – cognitive processes, thoughts, memories, knowledge, emotions/feelings, self-esteem.
Body – physical aspects such as genetics, gender, sleep, nutrition, conditions etc.
Spirit – positive and negative learned teachings/practices; metaphysical or innate forces.

These areas are in constant flux – just as these four areas change, so do a person’s emotions, feelings, and behaviors. We are not the same person at 4pm that we were at 7am. Our sleep will differ, our nutrition changes, and as such, our behaviors/feelings/thoughts will be different.Our systems are constantly balancing and re-balancing themselves and they are interdependent.


I will admit that Cross’s article was an exciting read for me, filled with exclamations of "Yes!" I really appreciated Cross's discussion of how interventions need not be targeted to one particular symptom or cause, but rather focused on bringing the person back into balance! I like this approach to healing because it is nonjudgmental and holistic. The breakdown of context, mind, body and spirit was helpful; the fact that these quadrants are in constant flux led me to an ah-ha! moment. Feelings, emotions, behaviors change, as do all the other areas/quadrants.

So, rather than stating that the person is the problem or has a problem, relational worldview would state that the person is out of harmony. Yes!

I like this model because it gives me a way to better understand myself, my moods, my thoughts, and my patterns. It shows me the inter-dependency of these areas of my life, so that I know that in order to be "healthy," I must ensure that I am eating well, sleeping well, exercising, and that my needs are met. I know that I must strive for harmony and balance in all areas of my life. It's a heck of a lot easier to focus on overall balance than it is to say "I'm going to stop drinking" or "I'm going to stop smoking." It has been my experience that when you focus solely on the problem, you kind of become the problem. You fixate on that one thing that you're trying to give up so badly and it's that much harder to stop that particular behavior.

However, when I started to work on all aspects of my life - getting more active by jogging, walking and bike-riding, I found that I felt better. Then I would want to eat better - then my moods would improve and I felt less and less desire to continue my unhealthy behaviors. Things started to balance themselves naturally and then it become so much easier to give up a lot of unhealthy habits. So you see, relational worldview is relevant!

Enough for this post - I will have another one shortly. I am full of energy and ideas at the moment and can hardly contain my desire to express myself.  
See you shortly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment